The Legacy of the Original Glorious Church
During the year of our Lord 1952, Bishop I.W. Hamiter and his family lived in Akron, Ohio. After listening to the voice of God, Bishop Hamiter moved his family to Columbus, Ohio. While searching for a place of worship where believers in Christ could assemble themselves to worship the Lord in Spirit and Truth, he found a humble storefront at 444 Mt. Vernon Avenue. There were three adults and two children to have served in this establishment during this time. Bishop Hamiter was not discouraged because he believed the Lord when He said that He would add to the church. He had faith that his prayers would be answered.
Shortly after that, he was led to look at a building that was available to rent at 1125 St. Clair Avenue. The Lord continued to bless as he later purchased a lot at 786 Mulberry Street, where he began to build a place of worship. He worked diligently, doing 90 percent of the work himself. Cheerfully they worked, believing the Lord would supply their needs. They labored night and day until the building was finished. It was a wonderful, happy, glorious occasion when the first service was held during the fall of 1956. After one year in the new church, the membership had doubled. Under the capable leadership of Bishop Hamiter, through much prayer and fasting, the Lord continued to save and add to the church.
A choir and other auxiliaries were formed. Four years later, the membership had increased to about 60 members. Subsequently, this building was sold, and the church building at 524 East Long Street was purchased. In January 1961, the members moved into this building and remained there for fourteen years. Many souls were saved, bodies healed, and backsliders were reclaimed. The membership grew to over 100. We later moved into a temporary place of worship on the corner of Leonard and Taylor Avenue. After staying there a while, the Lord led Bishop Hamiter to look at a building at 886 Sunbury Road, formerly a school. Bishop Hamiter saw great potential. His search for a place of worship was over. The property was purchased, and the mortgage was paid off in three years. Former Assistant Pastors that served under Bishop Hamiter include the late Mother Florence Chisholm, the late Evangelist Susie Smith, Bishop John Pace, Bishop George Steele, Sr., Bishop Gregory Fly, and the late Evangelist Thelma Floyd.
Bishop Hamiter remained pastor of the Original Glorious Church in Columbus, Ohio, until 1985. The mantle was soon passed to Bishop George Steele, Sr. On May 1, 1985, he and several saints transferred from the Original Glorious Church in Chillicothe, Ohio, where he served as pastor for 21 years, to The Original Glorious Church 886 Sunbury Road. Evangelist Thelma Floyd and Evangelist Olivia Hamiter served as Assistant Pastors under Bishop Steele’s Tenure. In July 1987, the church purchased the property under the direction of the Holy Ghost and moved to our beautiful edifice at 2030 Joyce Avenue. The church has grown during Bishop Steele’s administration, and God has prospered us with Apostolic Abundance. Many souls have been saved, healed, and delivered. On May 16, 2004, God enabled us to burn the mortgage to the church!
In 2004 Bishop Steele retired as pastor due to failing health. Overseer Olivia Hamiter was then appointed pastor and Dr. Bernita Wright Assistant Pastor. In 2015, Overseer Olivia Hamiter stepped down as pastor, and Overseer Dr. Bernita Wright was appointed pastor. The Original Glorious 2030 Joyce has been and continues to be a” Beacon of Light” to many in Columbus, Ohio, and the nation.
Senior PastorBishop-Elect, Dr. Bernita Wright
Dr. Bernita Wright is a highly accomplished and respected senior pastor at the Original Glorious Church, Apostolic Faith in Columbus, Ohio. She has been involved in ministry and leadership since the age of twelve and has worked faithfully in various dioceses, including West Virginia and Ohio, as well as serving on the General Board of Elders of the Original Glorious Church since 2009. Dr. Wright is also an experienced educator, certified faith-based counselor, and holds several degrees, including a Doctorate of Divinity. Her ministry focuses on deliverance and she is anointed by God.
To empower and equip each member in order to reach the lost for the: Saving of souls, Healing of bodies and Deliverance from demonic forces. According to the Word of God fulfilling the spiritual mission of the church.
It is to have a facility or school that will holistically impact a multi-cultural community on every level. This vision includes the following: Providing ministerial training, after-school activities and mentoring, family counseling, recreation facilities, job skill training, and promoting health and wellness.